Venmo is an excellent mobile payment service owned by PayPal. The account holders will be able to transfer the funds to their friends with the help of this mobile phone app. If you are using Venmo you may have lots of friends in the app. Now you can make your friends list private. Here you can learn how to Make Your Venmo Friends List Private then it will keep your information secure from others. This feature is great because before that any user who uses Venmo can see your friends list. Many users were not comfortable with it. That is why use the privacy settings in Venmo to hide your friend’s list from others. Continue reading to know more.
Why keep Venmo Friends list private?
In 2018 a study revealed that Venmo shares lots of private details of its users by default. Then in the same year, FTC revealed to the world about Venmo misleading the users about the changes in privacy settings. This means that the transactions made by the users were not at all private. Their data was at high risk because Venmo has not offered them the privacy they required. In 2019 a researcher studied seven million transactions and concluded that even though Venmo has made some little improvements to protect the privacy of the users it is not enough. He told that Venmo users are at a high risk of cyber-attacks.
In the same year, the companies Mozilla and Electronic Frontier Foundation decided to write an open letter to Venmo. They expressed their deep concern as Venmo is disregarding the importance of the privacy of its users. They wanted Venmo to make two critical changes that will offer more privacy. One is to make the transactions private by default and the second is to offer users the privacy options to make their friends list private.
In 2021 another incident proved that Venmo has still not offered privacy for its users. BuzzFeed News was able to find the Venmo Account used by United States president Joe Biden. They found his account within ten minutes. Also, BuzzFeed News stated that Venmo has left its users exposed to the world. That is why there are a lot of privacy concerns surrounding the app. So Make Your Venmo Friends List Private.
Follow the steps to make your friends list Private
If you prefer to Make Your Venmo Friends List Private then you can follow the steps given below. It is quite easy to do and will prevent other unknown users to see your friends list.
- Click the three lines in the top right corner of your phone screen and go to settings. Then from the settings screen, you can see the Privacy Option and the Friends list.
- You can find settings options that are present there by default.
- Now change the privacy settings to private. If you do not like to get listed out in your friend’s contact list then press the Toggle off.
- On the privacy settings, the page makes all your future payments to private. Therefore no one can see your activities.
- Now go to the past transactions.
- Choose Change All to Private.
- Then you have to confirm the change by pressing Change to Private.
- Go back to the main settings page and choose Friends & social.
- In here you can see the options to unlink your Venmo account from your Facebook account. Also, you can unlink it from the Facebook friends list and phone contact list.
- You can click all the toggles off if you prefer. But your specific preference of privacy is your choice.
If you are using Venmo then it is up to you to keep your friends list private. It is risky to keep your transactions and friends list exposed to the people who might misuse it.