Most Apple users know that their iPhone or iPad took photos in the HEIF format. Such photos will have the file extension of HEIC. So, how to open the HEIC file on Windows 10? A few clicks are needed to open the HEIC files on Windows 10 or Windows11. You can even convert such HEIC files into standard JPEG formats.
How To Open HEIC Files In Windows Desktop?
By default, Windows will not recognize HEIC files; thus, one may need to download a HEIC Plugin. So, here we will see how to open HEIC files on windows. Installing this Plugin will allow Windows to open iPad and iPhone images on your computer. It is very simple to open such photos as regular photos once you install HEIC Plugin. Sometimes, you can even convert HEIC images into JPEG format using Paint.
In short notes, you need to open the file in photos and right-click on the same. Now, it will ask you to install the HEIC Plugin into your PC, and you give ‘Yes.’ Using the Microsoft store, you can download the HEIC extension. Go for installing the HEIC Plugin and open the HEIC file in photos once again.
Here are the steps on how to open a HEIC file on your Windows.
- The first step is locating the HEIC file you want to open in File Explorer. Right-click on the same file and select ‘Open with.’ Under this, you need to choose Photos to open the file.
- In Photos, when you open the file, you will see a pop-up message “The HEIF Image Extension is required to show this file.” Now, choose the option ‘Download and install it now, which will take you to the Microsoft store.
- Now, you will see one more message, ‘Did you mean to switch applications?’ and click ‘Yes.’
- After you click Yes, it will take you to the Microsoft Store on the ‘HEIF Image Extensions app page.’ Now, you can download and install the HEIC Plugin. Soon after its installation, you can exit the Microsoft Store application.
- Finally, you can move back to File Explorer and open the HEIC file by double-clicking on it. Now, the image will open as the normal JPEG image on your windows. So, it will be clear how to open an HEIC file on Windows.
How To Convert HEIC Files To JPEG On Windows?
To convert HEIC files into JPEG images quickly, you have many online applications to use. You can download and install such apps to complete the conversion process quickly.
- Firstly, choose the HEIC file you want to open in File Explorer. After choosing it, right-click on it, choose ‘Open with’, and go to ‘Paint.’ Since you have already installed HEIC Plugin using the previous method, it will open the HEIC image in Paint.
- Once, the image opens in Paint, you need to click ‘File’, which opens a pop-up menu. Under this list, you need to choose ‘Save as’, which opens a pop-up menu next to it.
- Finally, choose the format you want to save, JPEG. In the Save As dialog box, you need to choose the location where you want o save the photo in JPEG format.
- Now, provide the file name and save the file, and that’s the process.
Using CopyTrans Tool:
You can use an online tool such as CopyTrans HEIC to convert HEIC into JPEG format. This tool works in Windows 7 and other older versions of Windows 10. Such windows PC don’t have the support to change the files in the Photos app. Here are the steps to convert HEIC into JPEG file format using the CopyTrans tool.
- Before starting the procedure, you must download and install the CopyTrans tool. After installing this Plugin, you can start the procedure.
- Open the HEIC file in File explorer and right-click on the same file. Now, you will get a pop-up menu displaying various options from which you need to choose ‘Convert to JPEG.’ Selecting this option will easily convert the HEIC into a JPEG file.
- Soon after choosing this option, it will automatically save the JPEG version of the image in your folder where the original HEIC file is present.
JPEG format is much more popular, and JPEG files are widely supported. This will let you use HEIC files supporting JPEG formats but not HEIC format in applications.
So, one can even convert HEIC into JPEG format on the web. You have several online conversion tools to carry out this procedure. Open any of the best-rated online conversion apps and upload the file. Once the conversion process ends, you can download the JPEG file and save it in your folder.
Also Read: How To Trim A Video On Windows 11?