Want to change your IP address manually? Then you have to switch from the router’s assigned DCHP address to the static one on Windows, Mac, Andriod, and ios. You can also change your router’s public IP address. There is a way to get new IP by releasing and renewing the IP address. You can learn about all the steps here. But you may wonder about how to “set IP my device”?
To understand the static IP addresses you can begin with the setup you have. The majority of computer networks and also the network you use in your home are controlled by the router. Static IP uses DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). It is a type of protocol that assigns a new device to the IP addresses. It does not interact with the user or any system administrator. Find the steps to set the static IP and addresses on your home router. Also, know how to “set up my device”.
DHCP Vs. Static IP Address
Your home router assigns IP addresses to the devices using the network. For that purpose, it uses the DHCP or the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. When you connect new devices to the network they will be assigned to the next IP address. But if the devices are not connected in a few days the IP address will expire. In this way, it will get assigned to something else.
This is fine for everyday use and you will not notice it as it happens in the background. But when you frequently use Wake-on-LAN and SSH into your Raspberry from across the house then DHCP can become a disruption. It will become hard for you to remember which device uses which IP address. When the IP addresses expire then you have to look for it again. These are the times static IP addresses will come in handy.
You need not allow the router to assign an IP address because you can assign it. It will be easy for you to remember it and use it. You can assign the static IP addresses on the device itself or assign them to the router level. The latter method is called DHCP reservation. All your computers will be left at the default settings. The computer will request an IP address via DHCP. The router will assign it to the one that you have reserved.
How To Change The Mac Computer’s IP Address?
- First of all, open the system preferences on the mac and select Network.
- Choose the Wi-Fi network in the left panel and press Advanced.
- Then choose the TCP/IP tab.
- Select manually next to Configure IPv6 (or iPv4). Then enter the details in the new IP.
How To Change The Iphones’ IP Address?
- Go to the settings app and select Wi-Fi.
- Click the (i) near the network and choose to configure the IP.
- Select manual and then enter details manually such as the IP address and the DNS information.
How To Change The Andriod Phone’s IP Address?
- Find the settings > Network & internet > Wi-Fi.
- Click the network that you prefer to change the IP address.
- Choose to Forget.
- Click the network from the available Wi-Fi networks.
- Choose advanced options.
- Click DHCP.
- Select static.
- Scroll down and fill in the details in the IP address fields.
- Enter the Wi-Fi passwords.
- Now choose select.
How To Change The Router’s IP Address?
If you want to change the router’s IP address then log into the router as an administrator. In the control panel modify the IP address to what you prefer. But the IP addresses will change if there is an issue with it. A default IP address will be fine in some circumstances.
How To Change The Public IP Address?
The external public IP address is used to communicate with networks other than your own. It will communicate with those on the internet. Make use of a VPN to mask or hide the real IP address. Also, you can use a web proxy to conceal the public IP.
Why Change IP Address?
Usually, some ISPs assign static IP addresses to the subscribers. The home users get a dynamic IP address. You will be able to contact the ISP and request a new static IP or else a dynamic IP change. There is no way to change the external internet IP address on your own.
Some users like to change their public external IP addresses to prevent online bans or bypass country location restrictions.
Therefore changing the IP address of a client computer, cell phone or router is advantageous for the following reasons.
- If an invalid address is accidentally configured like the static IP address in the wrong numeric range.
- The malfunctioning router offers bad addresses like the addresses used by some other computer on the network.
- When installing a new router and reconfiguring a home network to use the default IP address.
What Is My IP Address?
If you want to know what is your IP address then just ask Google. Type in Google “what is my IP address” and you will get it. It will be your public IP address. To know more about IP addresses you can click the option “Learn more about IP addresses”.
These are the ways to set the Static IP addresses on your home router. It will make your work simple instead of assigning different IP addresses.
Also Read: Tips to Improve WiFi Range at Home