In this article we will learn how to transfer the apps to a new android device from an old android device. The methods will tell how to transfer apps from android in built feature and restore feature. Or maybe using the Samsung smart switch mobile app if you already have it on your device. Therefore, in the instructions we cover the Android pie 9.0, Oreo 8.0, Nougat 7.0 and android devices from all the manufacturers.
Transfer apps to a new android phone using the Android backup and restoring feature
The simplest method to transfer your apps from android to android. It is by backing up your old device, and restoring the function on the new phone. Firstly, you need see if your new device is backing up your data or not, to do so you have to:
- Go on to the Settings.
- Tap on the System by scrolling down.
- Select the Backup option (You might have to expand the Advanced section before that).
- Check and see if the toggle of the Back up to Google Drive is on, if you see it is on then you are ready!
- If the toggle is off then slide it to make it on and Back up now.
- Hence, you are all set after the backup is complete.
Restoring your data to the new phone
Now you are all set to restore the data to your new android phone from the old one through this method. However, if you have not yet restored your data you can now restore it including all the apps during this process.
- Make sure to charge your new android device and power it up. Follow the instructions from the screen till it asks you to restore the data from another device. However, you can always opt to start it as a brand-new clean slate, but restoring some data will be helpful for you in the future.
- Tap on the Copy Your Data and select the device from which you have to restore the data.
- Then your android device will ask you to connect to a Wi-Fi network. Be sure that you connected to the same network as your old device is.
- Now you will be seeing the restore option on the screen of your phone. Select either A Back up from an android phone or A Back up from the cloud or drive.
- Use your old phone only and sign into your google account.
- Here you will see the list of the options to back up including your old device.
- Now choose the right one or correct one and tap Restore. So that you can transfer all the data and setting from your old device. Tap on the Apps you wish to transfer from your old device to your new device.
- Hence, now you can continue with your setting up process, while your data is restoring in the background.
Use the Samsung Smart Switch mobile App
Therefore, if you have a Samsung S7 or other version, then smart switch app is already in that in your device, for your old device you can download this app from the app store. And then follow the instructions from the screen and download it. You can select this app to transfer your data from any android phone which has android marshmallow 6.0 to a Samsung phone.
Therefore, to get into the app on S7 or later version, tap on Settings > Accounts > Smart switch, for any different phone look in the app drawer for the app.
There are three ways which you can use with Smart Switch: USB cable, Wirelessly, or external storage. The most straightforward method is transferring the apps wirelessly.
- Open Smart Switch on your new device.
- Choose Wireless > Receive > Android.
- Now open Smart Switch on your old phone.
- Tap on Wireless > Send.
- Follow the screen instructions on your new phone.
From the USB cable
- Plug in the USB of your old device.
- Now connect that cable to the Samsung USB connector.
- Here you will now plug in the Samsung USB connector into your new device.
- Open Smart Switch on your old device.
- On your old phone adjust the USB settings to Media Device (MTP).
- Follow the screen instructions to move the apps.
Using the external storage (SD card)
Insert the SD card or connect your phone to the USB storage device in which you have the apps for restoring. And follow the instructions on the screen.
Samsung also provides the Smart Switch app for Mac. and Windows, installs and opens the desktop app and then connects the phone to the computer. Therefore, now follow the screen instructions to transfer the apps and the data right from the device you want it to.
For the other apps that are not from Google, you will have to recheck if they are backing up the Google drive. However, it can be helpful especially if you want to save the chat history, usually, the popular apps have this. Your data will only sync properly if you sign in to all your Google devices. If you wish to save the bookmarks and the password then you have to be signed in to all the Google devices. Go on to the browser setting in sign-in from there if you have not signed in already. Therefore, this is how you will share apps from android to android.
Frequently Asked Question
Q. How do I transfer apps from old phone to new android?
A. Launch the Google Play Store. Tap the menu icon, then tap “My apps and games.” You’ll be shown a list of apps that were on your old phone. Pick the ones you want to migrate (you might not want to move brand-specific or carrier-specific apps from the old phone to the new), and download them
Q. How do I transfer everything to my new Android phone?
A. Switch to a new Android phone
- Charge both phones.
- Make sure you can unlock the old phone with a PIN, pattern, or password.
- On your old phone: Sign in with your Google account. To check whether you have a Google Account, enter your email address. If you don’t have a Google Account, create a Google Account. Sync your data.
Q. Is there an app to transfer data from Android to Android?
A. Samsung Smart Switch
It allows the transfer of the data between any two Android devices (Lenovo, HTC, Motorola, etc.). The app can also transfer data between two Android devices through the SD card even