Twitch has become the trademark live streaming platform for many users. Now it is a fundamental part of many people’s lives. Also, the people using Twitch are called Twitch streamers and many have become famous personalities because of it. At first, Twitch began as a gaming platform but in a few years, it has transitioned into the hub of content creators. So that is why you must know all the details about Twitch. Are you interested? Then you are in the right place. Find out what is Twitch and how to stream on Twitch here.
What Is Twitch?
Twitch launched in 2011 as a gaming-centric alternative platform for Justin. tv. Now Justin. tv has become defunct. Then in 2014 Amazon bought Twitch Interactive. Therefore, after that Twitch became the streaming destination for esports and also where users streamed games. At first, there were Twitch communities but now there is a tagging system in place.
There are three main tags such as IRL, Creative, and game genres. The first is for everything that contains real people. Then the second is Creative that streams categories like Travel & Outdoors, Makers & Crafters, Music & Production, and more. After that, the last is for Strategy, FPS, MOBA, Driving/Racing Game.
In the beginning, the famous category was Just Chatting. It is a category for the contents. Also, the major top streaming content belonged to games such as League of Legends, Fortnite, Apex Legends, Grand Theft Auto, and more. Further, there is a free-to-play Twitch Sings experience that had many vocal performances.
Twitch streams some regular games also. It is not wholly dedicated to sports streaming services but it has got full streaming rights to NFL, WNSL, and WNSL games. There are privacy risks involved in Twitch because one statement said by a person will get captured in it forever. Recently Twitch also has launched Twitch Safety Advisory Council in its Community Guidelines.
How To Stream on Twitch?
It is really easy to stream on Twitch desktop because the process is neat. It enables streaming through a wide variety of platforms. But the best places to stream Twitch desktop are with the help of gaming PCs and powerful gaming laptops. Also, you require the right software for it.
The two major choices of this are XSplit and Open Broadcaster Software (OBS). The first one is a Windows 10 centric tool and the second is available in Mac, Linux, and Windows. The easiest to use is the XSplit. But you have to pay for it. Further, the open-source OBS is free to use but you have to do an initial startup.
There are custom versions of the OBS present such as the Streamlabs OBS and StreamElements OBS. Live. Also, these kinds of programs can sync up with Streamlabs and StreamElements so it will let you set up alerts, layouts, and others. Therefore, if you want to try Twitch then first try Twitch Studio that is created with beginners in mind. Also, this app is free and it will offer you the guided setup for the main devices in your streaming like the webcam and game feed.
How To Set Up Xsplit?
Configuring The Stream
- First of all, you have to Open XSplit.
- Then select the broadcast and add channel and Twitch.
- Choose Authorize and enter the Twitch username and password.
- Choose Finish and Xsplit will set an optimal resolution.
- Now Edit the streaming properties and press OK.
- Go to the screen sources selection available in the XSplit interface. Choose Add.
- Then Hover over Game capture and choose your game of choice.
- Choose Add again and try to bring in any additional sources like the images or your webcam feed.
- You can drag and resize any source to your liking. For instance, you can feature the Game capture feed clearly with a small box available at the corner that shows your webcam feed. Also, you can find many such tools in the twitch dashboard.
- Now choose broadcast and then Twitch. You will be live.
How To Set Up OBS?
Configuring The Stream
- Open the OBS
- Choose settings
- Select the stream
- Set the service to Twitch and press to connect account. This will offer you the quickest setup process.
- You can now log into Twitch with your Username and password. You can set the scene and go live. But if you prefer to make use of the stream key then continue with the steps here.
- If you do not prefer to connect with your account directly then you can link Twitch to OBS through a stream key. You can return to your Twitch dashboard and choose the stream key. Then follow all the prompts to get the special streaming code.
- Copy and paste the code in the stream key. It will be available in the broadcast settings menu. Click OK.
- In the main OBS interface, you can right-click on the sources Box and choose Add. Then choose game capture.
- Now you can select the game of your choice and press OK.
- You can right-click on the sources box to add any additional feed. Also, you can add images and texts to customize your layout. You can use Monitor Capture to reveal anything on display. Then you can use video capture to utilise the webcam.
- There are many options in the Twitch dashboard for you to edit the videos and more.
These are the ways that will help you to stream on Twitch. You can also become a Twitch streamer now with the steps given here.