How to move your Hotmail.com account to an Outlook.com account
Do you hate to have your attached things changed automatically?
Well, if it is so then I think you people would love to do it yourself.
Now, you might thinking that why I have said so.
So, I have said this for the users who have Hotmail accounts. Since Microsoft have launched Outlook.com, Microsoft is planning to move all its users to Outlook.com from Hotmail.com, MSN.com & Live.com.
If you don’t upgrade your Hotmail.com account to Outlook then Microsoft will do this automatically & you hate to have things changed automatically then it’s time for you to make changes into your things by yourself.
In this article I will tell you the methods to move your Hotmail.com to Outlook.com account. Mind that I have used “methods” word instead of method which shows that you are going to confront more than one method.
With those methods you can upgrade your existing Hotmail account to Outlook account & you can get a new @outlook.com address. The steps which we are going to follow will work on MSN.com & Live.com as well. So, here we go!
How to upgrade Hotmail account to an Outlook account
If you are an attached user of Hotmail & want to intact your existing account settings, contacts, emails then you should go for upgrading your Hotmail account to Outlook account option.
This option will even intact your email address as @hotmail.com & password same as before. Email addressed to your Hotmail account will arrive in your Outlook account inbox & messages sent from your Outlook account will show your return address as @hotmail.com.
So, lets start with the easiest method.
- Sign in your Hotmail account at http://outlook.com. (Note that you sign in with your existing Hotmail account not with firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Now, you have made the upgrade to our Hotmail account to an Outlook account.
How to get a new @outlook.com address
For an instance, recall those days when your new session used to has started. With buying books for new session, some of you might have used to buy new bag & new stationary.
Likewise, some of you would like to have a new @outlook.com address after you have made upgrade to your Hotmail account.
So, now I will tell you two ways to get a new Outlook address & those ways are:
- adding an alias &
- renaming your account.
How to set an alias
As you have made upgrade to your Hotmail account & decided to have a new @outlook.com address, so you can have a new email address by adding an alias. By adding an alias, you will be able to send & receive email using an Outlook address as well as Hotmail address. Best for guest posting time when you need to send multiple messages with no spam. You can take help from Degions if want to accelerate your growth organically.
But there are certain limitation that you should keep in mind:
- You can create only five alias per year.
- You can’t sign in your account using an alias. You will still have to use your Hotmail address to sign in.
- You can’t send email from an alias using phone or other client. However, you can send email from an alias in the Outlook.com web interface.
Now, lets proceed with adding an alias.
- Sign in at http://outlook.com with your Hotmail address & password. Now, click on the cog icon at the top right corner of the window & then click on the More mail settings.
- Now, under the heading Managing your account, click on the option Create a Outlook alias.
- Now you will be able to see a new page requesting for an email name with @outlook.com as an email address. Well, that’s a Create an email alias page & there @outlook.com has chosen already for you as an email address . Just enter the email name under the box labelled as Email address & then click Create an alias.
- After that in your Inbox, you will be able to see a confirmation which will ask or let you choose where email sent to the new address goes.
- Now, your alias is ready to use. But when you create a new message, @hotmail.com address is your default email address. You have to click the drop down arrow next to your email address and then select your @outlook.com email address from the menu.
A clean & fresh start
You can also do a clean & fresh start. To start clean & fresh start make sure that you have logged out your Hotmail account & then follow given steps:
- Go to http://Outlook.com but this time don’t sign in with your Hotmail account rather click on Sign up option.
- Then fill up the Microsoft account form, click on I agree and now you are ready to start using your new Outlook account.
How to link accounts
You can aslo link your new created account to your existing Hotmail account. But note that when you link your accounts, you will have to separate accounts not a combine account. Within your new account, you can easily switch between them.
Lets start the process of linking accounts.
- Sign in your new account and then click on the picture icon at the top right corner of the window. Then a menu will appear & from that menu click on Account settings option.
- Click Permissions and then click the Manage linked accounts.
- Then you’ll see the Manage linked accounts page and click the Add linked account.
- After that you will have to enter your password for verification of your account information. Then enter email address and password of the account that you want to link with your new account then click Link & your accounts have linked now.
Now, you can switch to any of your account just by clicking on the picture at the top right corner of the window. A menu will appear containing both your accounts, just click the one you want to use. For free entertainment you can check out how to watch free tv series in techgeekers with ultimate secret trics.
How to switch back to Hotmail
It may happen that you didn’t like Outlook.com experience, you can then easily switch to Hotmail during the Preview period.
- Click on the cog icon at the top right corner.
- Then click Go to Hotmail.
Hope you now know how to switch from hotmail to outlook
Latest posts by Niharika (see all)
- CoinFlip: Making Cryptocurrency Exchange Easier And More Efficient - March 15, 2019
- A Detailed Guide To Provide Multi-Language Support On A Mobile App - March 8, 2019
- 5 Reasons Why Your SEO Improvements Are Very Slow - March 7, 2019