MS Outlook is a popular email client among Windows users including users of Windows 10. The reason being the complete support of Outlook 2019 and all other latest version for this OS version. Like other versions, Outlook stores its data items locally in PST format. Though this file type is reliable, it can stop working or get corrupted now and then. Therefore in this guide, we will describe how to fix the PST file in Windows 10.
“I am an Outlook users for a long time. After I installed Windows 10, I have started experiencing various errors and yester, the Outlook is not opening. It seems that the PST file has become corrupted. Please suggest me how to fix PST file in Windows 10. I have tried scanpst but it was unable to fix the issues. Any automated tool would be also fine for me. Thanks.”
Reasons for PST file Corruptions
These are some of the common reasons why Outlook PST files face corruption issues.
- Storage Device Failure: If the hard disk that stores the PST file has some bad sectors, the PST file will also become corrupted.
- Large Sized PST: Every version of Outlook has a designated PST file size. When the size reaches its limit, it start to malfunction and becomes corrupted.
- Virus or Malware Infection: Even Windows 10 is prone to virus attacks and malware. Such infections affect the PST files functionality. Thus, files become damaged and inaccessible. That is why users should always update their OS version and have anti-virus software installed.
- Abruptly Shutting Down Outlook: Due to power cut or other reasons, many times the Outlook abruptly shuts down. This dirty shut down is also responsible for PST file corruption.
How to Fix PST File in Windows 10 Manually
For corruption removal, all Outlook versions come with a repair tool to troubleshoot .pst file problems. If users are facing minor corruption, they can use Inbox Repair Tool or scanpst.exe in order to repair Outlook data items.
1. Go to the location of scanpst.exe and double-click on it to run.
2. Click on Browse to select the PST file and then click on Start.
3. After scanning, it will inform about all the errors it located.
4. Click on the Repair button to start repairing the PST file.
5. Only the file is free of corruption, the tool will notify.
Note: This method contains chances of data corruption. Hence it is better to take backup of PST file before one start to repair. Check the box beside “Make a backup of scanned file before repairing” for an automatic backup of the PST file with this utility.
Method to Fix Windows 10 Outlook PST File with Smart Method
The manual method is not only backdated, but also its performance is limited. This method is unable to fix severe corruption issues that users face on Windows 10. Therefore, they look for a sophisticated software that can fix all types of corruption of PST files. One popular application is SysTools Outlook Recovery Tool. This utility can fix PST file in Windows 10 and all other versions regardless of the file size and type (ANSI/ Unicode).
1.Download and open the software to add PST file
2. Select Quick of Advance Scan based on corruption level.
3. Preview complete data and choose output format.
4. Click on the Export button to fix the PST file in Windows 10.
Why Choose the Software over manual Method
The biggest drawback of the manual method is it works only in case of minor corruptions. But every Windows 10 users know that there days, the corruption issues have become stubborn and severe. Only third-party applications like the mentioned one are capable of fixing such corruption. Apart from this, Outlook users will get some added benefits if they choose to use the automated tool.
Fix Orphan PST File: If users have a PST file without Outlook installation, they can also fix the PST file in Windows 10 using the software.
Zero Data Loss: The manual method involves high chance of data loss during the fixing process. In case of the software, users do not need to worry about data loss or data corruption.
No Size Limit: While Inbox Repair Tool can fix only small-sized PST, the software can fix the PST file of any size without any limitation.
Less Time Consuming: With this application, multiple Outlook PST files can be fixed at the same time on Windows 10. As the result, it takes less time to fix PST issues with the tool.
Search PST File: Sometimes, the exact file location of the PST file is unknown to the users. This tool offers a Search File option that searches and locates all the PST files in a drive/all drives.
Split PST: If the PSYT file size is the main cause of corruption, users can also split the destination PST file into multiple small size PST files. It will help them prevent future corruption.
To know how to fix PST file in Windows 10, go through this blog. It described two most commonly used solutions to fix OST file corruptions. For minor level corruptions, the manual method is fine. But the robust tool is the only method to fix major corruption of Outlook on Windows 10 computers.