Portable Document Format a.k.a PDF is a file format like PNG, JPEG, OGG, etc. that is used to display a document in an electronic form. It was developed by Adobe® Systems and has now become the epitome of sharing documents and information worldwide.
Whether used for business, school or general use PDF files are a fabulous way of sharing information. In today’s world where every work is done online and through computers these best free PDF editors are essential. PDFs can be viewed on both PCs and smartphones as it is independent of the software or operating system. These best free PDF editors make editing PDF files simple and have a very friendly user interface that makes them easy to use. One can modify the documents by adding various drawings, pictures, and shapes with these best free PDF editors.
While the Adobe PDF editor is a paid software; there are some best free PDF editors available too. When you don’t want to pay for subscriptions or installation charges these best free PDF editors come in handy. So, here’s the list —
1. Sejda PDF Editor
Firstly, Sejda PDF editor is one of the very few PDF editors that doesn’t add a watermark if you edit the pre-existing text in the PDF, unlike other apps.
In the web integration tool, the publishers can provide links for the users so that they can directly open the file in the online PDF editor. After two hours all uploaded files are deleted automatically.
This online PDF editor can be operated on any operating system. But Sejda PDF Desktop runs on macOS, Windows, and Linux.
- Files can load from other websites.
- Supports hyperlinks.
- Can remove pages from the PDF easily.
- Can insert images and shapes.
- Can’t edit the files larger than 50mb.
- Only three PDFs/hour.
Secondly, Inkscape is a very popular free image and PDF viewer and editor and is an extremely capable image editing program. However, it includes editing functions that other apps support only in their paid edition.
- Supports manipulating graphics.
- Lots of image editing tools.
- Text edit option in the PDFs.
- The number of graphics-editing tools can be overwhelming.
Inkscape can be installed in Windows, macOS, and Linux.
3. PDF Escape Online PDF Editor
PDF escape is one of the best free PDF editors with a lot of features like adding your own texts, images, links, etc. As long as your document doesn’t exceed 10Mb or 100 pages, it is totally free. In addition, the text is tailored in such a way that you can pick your favorite font style, size, and color. You can also apply effects like bolding, italicizing, and underlining the text. Using this edition you can draw on the PDF, insert lines and checkmarks, and different shapes.
It also lets you delete the pages which you don’t want to include in your document, and you can also crop or rotate the pages.
It makes uploading your own PDF file a super easy task, just paste the URL of an online PDF and make it your own. This online PDF editor can be used on any operating system.
- A lot of tools.
- Lets you add your own texts and images.
- Easily add or remove pages.
- You cannot edit the existing texts.
- There is a limit to the size and number of pages of the document.
PDF element lets you edit your PDF directly. You can add images and links to your document and you can combine several PDFs and make it a single document with the limitation of getting its watermark on every single page of your document. Runs on MacOS, Windows, Android and IOS.
- Can edit PDF’s text directly.
- Adding images, links and custom watermarks.
- Can edit the Background pages
- Supports combining several PDFs into one.
- Supports OCR.
- Can insert, extract, delete, crop PDF pages.
- Can password protect your document.
- It puts a watermark on the PDF in the free version.
5. PDF BOB
PDF BOB is one of the best free online PDF editors that requires no user account.
Several tools are available to edit a document; you can customize your document with color and font type; add images with an image picker, draw using colored pencil/marker and shape tools.
You can use it to delete pages and add new ones to the PDF. Even a password option is present while saving the PDF for security.
- Very user friendly.
- Can use in various languages.
- No ads
- Saves the PDF without the watermark
- No user account required
- Only a few font options.
- Only upload source is your computer.
- Cannot edit existing text.
6. Small PDF Online PDF Editor
One of the quickest as well as the best free online PDF editor is Small PDF, where images, text, shapes or signatures can be inserted.
Object’s main color and line color, as well as the thickness of its edge, can change easily. Importing shapes is possible if you want a square, circle, line or arrow, etc.
You can switch the size text too small, regular, medium, large, or extra-large but can’t change the font type; just the color.
If you edit more than two PDFs in a day, then it may ask to upgrade/pay or you will have to wait until the next day. It is compatible with all the operating systems that support present-day browsers.
- Can put white space over needless areas.
- Is completely free.
- Supports importing shapes.
- Can load and save PDFs from different sources.
- Does not allow editing the existing text.
- You can edit only two PDFs in a day.
So, this was the list of the best free PDF editors that are available online. With all the pros and cons mentioned, you can easily choose the one which better suits your need